Our House: DIY Lucite Curtain Rods




                                                                               Posted on Details Squared |  22 March 2015

square brass 800




If you know me, you know that I don’t want to pay full price for anything and that if I can, I will try to find a cheaper, but well-constructed version, or find a way to make it myself.  I was recently perusing Etsy and looking for vintage Lucite pieces, when I accidentally found LuxHoldups
Custom Lucite Curtain Rod w/ Polished Brass Brackets & Lattice Finials 

They may the most wonderful, custom Lucite curtain rods.  Custom is also a keyword for expensive.  If you're willing to shell out the money and don't want to try to make these yourself, the prices are "deccent".  However, I have five windows on the main floor and don't want to pay $275 per window.  If you're good at math, that adds up to $1375 and we've not began to talk about curtains!

The square rods featured in the opening photo from Gretchen Everett Hardware and Home have no prices listed, which is another code, for "If you are asking, you cannot afford this!".

I did a little online research and found a cornucopia of sites selling these dandy home details.  

One of the best things about adding acrylic or Lucite furnishings to your home, is that they're transparent.  This means that no visual weight is added to your space.  It tends to fade into the background and allow other areas of the room to take center stage.  
What many of you reading this blog do not know is that, the hubby and I been in the process of renovating our entire downstairs.  This includes a family room, kitchen, powder room, TV room, turning the formal dining room into a home office and transforming the formal living room into a library.  To say that we're tired is an understatement.  So let's see what it will take to create these luxurious window treatments ourselves.

Now, all I need to do is figure out how to make these myself,  and determine if it's worth the time and effort.  This is what I've figured out.
  • Rods
  • Rings, if applicable
  • End Finials
  • Brackets

Lucite Rods

One of the best things I found in my research was the DIY Acrylic Rod Update Tutorial from blogger, Grace Michelle.  The best place to obtain the acrylic rods is Nationwide Plastics, Inc.  The company will cut and polish (extra fee of about $7 per rod) the rods before shipping them to you.


Measure, Measure, Measure.  My front windows are 41.5 inches from frame to frame.  I like to add an additional six (6) inches on either side to have that fullness when the curtains are pulled to the side.  Therefore, I would need to add 12 inches to the width of my window.  I would then order 53.5 inch rods for both windows.   I've chosen the Cellcast Acrylic Rods.  They're quite substantial, feel like glass and won't yellow over time.  Choosing the 2-inch rods, I should be able to get two (2) rods out of the eight (8) foot lengths.  This means I will have to purchase two, full rods.

Cellcast Acrylic Rod (eight foot length)
½ inch
$20.31
¾ inch
$24.00
1 inch
$31.26
1 ½ inches
$58.22
2 inches
$105.23

Finials (End Caps)

Depending on the look and finish you want.  Be sure your source carries a size that fits the rod you've chosen or purchase your caps first and then your rods.

Finials can be reasonably priced or become very expensive.  Restoration Hardware carries quite a lot of differing finials for a decent price.     If you really want custom finials, try The Finial Company. Another good source is The Curtain Rod Shop.  It all depends on what look you're going for. Your local big box store shouldn't be left behind. The Storied Style Blog lists good examples of what you can find.

That said, I've chosen to go with a company called Brassworks.  This 2 1/4 inch filigree ($17 ea) should work very well with my 2 inch rods.

I've used a lot of gray and lavender on the walls through my house and am very happy that brass is so in right now.  It really adds a degree of warmth to cool colors.  If you'd like, request that your rods are left smooth on the ends and you can forego end caps altogether.

Brackets and Rings

Restoration Hardware carries quite a few brackets and rings from which to choose.  Brass is really in and I'm going for the Estate End Brackets.  See the References section below for some other sources.


Related

Resources



Comments

Popular Posts